Incorporating Call to Actions in Digital Marketing
Whether you are running Facebook ads for a pediatrician or you recently launched a Google Ads campaign for a hair salon, your digital marketing efforts will most likely fall short without a clear, strong call to action.
What is a call to action?
A call to action, commonly referred in the marketing world as a “CTA”, is a specific instruction to the user. In simple terms, it tells a user exactly what action to take. Typically, it is found in the form of a button in a prominent place on a webpage, e-blast or digital ad.
Why is a call to action so important?
A call to action helps move users down your company’s sales funnel with as much ease as possible. Without a clear call to action, users may be confused on what to do next and are more likely to leave the website without taking any action at all. Let’s go back to the Google Ads hair salon scenario. If someone clicks on your ad and is taken to a landing page filled with copy about your services, they will most likely not convert. However, if they are taken to a landing page that contains a big, bright button that reads “Schedule Your Appointment!”, then they will be more likely to take action. Why? Because you made it easy for them.
How do you create a strong CTA?
There are a variety of effective strategies to creating a call to action that converts. Here are some common tips and tricks:
- Include an action word to compel the user to take action immediately. Examples of action words include:
- Register today
- Sign up
- Call now
- Get started
- Buy now
- If possible, include value in your call to action. An example of this is: “Start your free trial today!” The word “free” will help boost your conversions, as people are more willing to try things when they are free or discounted.
- Make it as concise as possible. If your CTA is too long, you will lose the user. Try to keep it to a 5 – 7 word minimum.
- Include a sense of urgency when appropriate. For example, “limited time offer” may give the user an extra push to take action now rather than wait.
- Don't be afraid to try out different CTAs utilizing A/B testing to determine which one users resonate with more.
- Design the call to action with the intent of grabbing the user’s attention. You will often see call to actions in bright colored buttons. This is because it easily stands out from the rest of the content on the page.
In conclusion, never underestimate the power of a call to action. Ultimately, they drive conversions and help make your website more user-friendly. If you have questions on how to leverage call to actions for your digital marketing efforts, contact us today! Our copywriters and web design team work hand-in-hand to create compelling CTAs that convert.