Optimizing Press Releases for SEO and Social Media
Press releases should now be considered social media and SEO tools. Why not use the marketing content that you are sending out to mainstream media to your absolute advantage? Take every opportunity to optimize your PR efforts by using the most relevant keywords to get maximum exposure online. Add that same news release to your website with links and keywords for even greater use.
- Use relevant keywords in your headline – Add a keyword phrase (3-4 words) that includes search terms for which you hope to be found in Google.
- Use trending topics as part of your lead – Try to incorporate a trending topic into your press release. Tools such as Google Trends and Google Insights will help you discover trending topics that are relevant to your press release.
- Add a visual – If you have videos or photos to enhance your news release, use them! People love visually engaging content. It helps tell the story in a more impactful way.
- Link to your website – Use hyperlinks on keywords in your news release (maximum 1 per 100 words). Make sure they point back to a relevant part of the website.
- Share it! Share the press release on your social media platforms. Add it to your website and send out an email campaign with a link to the release. Work it!
- Shorten your headline – Keep your headline under 75 characters including spaces. Google will only read the first 60-65 characters.
- Always use a boiler plate – The press release must always include a boiler plate/about us section so you are able to direct readers with a call to action: “For more information, call XYZ at (555) 555-5555” or “Follow XYZ on Twitter @xyz”
So the next time you write a news release and plan to send it out to media, use these tips to take it even further with an online strategy. Need help? Give us a call at (618) 656-7333. We are a full-service public relations firm in the St. Louis Metro area that is ready to help!